Roblox is a multiplayer entertainment platform where users can create their own 3D environments and game modes. There are literally millions of games on Roblox. Players are able to explore different worlds and interact with other players. The possibilities on Roblox are only limited by the player’s imagination, but this can also leave room for questionable activity. Roblox shares many similarities with other videogames in the same category, namely Minecraft, but there are some very distinct differences. This GKIS Sensible guide will provide you with the information you need to decide if Roblox is right for your child.
How long has Roblox been around and how popular is it?
Roblox was developed by David Baszucki and Erick Cassel and was released in 2006. Through the years the popularity of Roblox has steadily been increasing. It currently boasts more than 100 million monthly players! There are no signs of Roblox losing popularity anytime soon.
Getting Started on Roblox
- Roblox is free to download on PC, Mobile Phones, and Xbox One
- Requires age of 13 or adult to help child sign up
- Parental controls may be set to restrict the ways a child may play
- You may purchase in-game currency with real-world currency to buy in-game clothing and hairstyles for your avatar.
Features of Roblox
Roblox is always an online multiplayer game with many different game modes, most of which are created by players. The game modes on Roblox are nearly endless, so we will elaborate on some of the most popular.
- Meep City
- Murder Mystery
- You’re put in a game with up to 10 different players.
- One person is given the role of the murderer and is given a knife.
- One person is given the role of the sheriff and is given a gun.
- The sheriff must find out who the murderer is before he murders all of the other players.
- Work at a Pizza Place
- Players work at a pizza place.
- Pizza orders come into the pizza place and the player must fulfill the order.
- Once the player has fulfilled enough orders and accumulated enough money.
- The player may choose to expand their pizza business and hire non-player employees to fulfill orders.
- You’re put into a prison with other players.
- You must work together with other players to break out of prison.
- The players must escape the other players who are police officers that have to chase them around the prison.
- After escaping the prison, players can enter a city and continue to hide from the police officers.
- Player created platformer style map.
- Players must avoid obstacles and jump from one platform to another.
- The objective is to reach the end of the map without dying.
- After reaching the end, the player is awarded different types of items that can be utilized in that specific obby.
The Benefits of Roblox
Children can build communication skills, as they are required to interact and collaborate with their fellow players.
Players are also encouraged to showcase their creativity by putting together custom maps.
Children may also learn a bit about financial responsibility as they must manage their in-game currency to buy items.
Parents have the ability to moderate how much their child plays. With the parental controls, parents can limit who can message the child, who can chat with them in the app, and who can chat with them in the games. Click Settings > Privacy to adjust parental controls. There is no voice chat, and text chat is set up so inappropriate language is not allowed.
The Risks of Roblox
Roblox also has some instances of violence within it such as
- Shooting a player with a gun
- Stabbing a player with a knife
Another noteworthy risk of Roblox is the risk of interacting with malicious strangers in-game.
Some players may choose to cyberbully others through the in-game text chat. Some of the players may be much older in real life, and it is important that children do not share personal information in-game. For further information, please take a look at the GKIS article about The Dangers of Online Multiplayer Video Games.
Roblox Safety Ideas
Stay nearby for supervision.
Play Roblox with your child.
Read and discuss Roblox’s Community Rules.
Use parental controls.
Teach your child about blocking and reporting features.
Track child playing time.
GetKidsInternetSafe rates Roblox as a yellow-light app, because while it is an amazing creative outlet for kids, the online interactions they have with strangers should be closely monitored. Team games like Roblox can be really fun, but they have their risks. If you think your tween or teen is ready to play Roblox or if they are on it and you want to optimize safety and good judgment, YOU WILL LOVE OUR GKIS Social Media Readiness Training Course. It covers social media and gaming risks to digital injury and teaches tweens and teens the psychological wellness tools they need to thrive!
Thanks to CSUCI intern, Jess Sherchan for researching robots/blocks and co-authoring this article. If you would like to learn about other games that promote creativity in kids please check out the GKIS article on The Sims!
I’m the mom psychologist who will help you GetKidsInternetSafe.
Onward to More Awesome Parenting,
Tracy S. Bennett, Ph.D.
Mom, Clinical Psychologist, CSUCI Adjunct Faculty
 Dredge, Stuart (2019) All you need to know about Roblox https://www.theguardian.com/games/2019/sep/28/roblox-guide-children-gaming-platform-developer-minecraft-fortnite
 Alexander, Julia (2019) Roblox surpasses Minecraft with 100 million monthly players https://www.theverge.com/2019/8/2/20752225/roblox-100-million-users-minecraft-youtube-twitch-pewdiepie-keemstar
- Photo by Henry Burrows (Flickr)
- Photo by Raytheawesomeguy2015 (Flickr)
- Photo by Pioneer Library System (Flickr)
- Photo by Eric Snopel (Flickr)